Very humbled and honored to even be on the panel with folks that have influenced the Bay’s rich dance history. I personally don’t think I had any major influence on this scene compared to these folks, but I will do my part and talk about the generation I grew up dancing in, and what the experience was like from my point of view. I look forward to learning more about what was before my generation from the actual dancers who LIVED IT!
(Also looking forward to eating some Daly City Filipino Restaurant after hahah)
D-Cypher: A Dialogue with Bay Area Filipino Street Dancers
Monday, October 17th, 2011. 6 to 9 pm
Liwanag Kultural Center, Daly City
Please RSVP so we can get a head count! Space is limited!
D-Cypher will be a discussion with some of the most influential Filipino Street dancers from the San Francisco Bay Area. We’ll be bridging their personal histories, discuss how the scene was back in the day, and learn about Filipino contributions to street dance, Hip Hop, and Filipino/Fil-Am Kulture. Learn and hear stories about the local dance scene!
– Don Boogaloo
– OG Smurf (Master City Breakers)
– Finesse (Master City Breakers)
– J Krush (Star City Crew)
– Andre (Star City Crew)
– Gizmo (Renegade Rockers, Knuckle Neck Tribe)
– Chaz (GroovMekanex, Zulu Nation, Natural Elements Crew(DC))
– G Boogz (Knuckle Neck Tribe)
– wish1 (Jughead Tribe, Jedi Clan, Mindtricks, Groovaloos, Jabbawockeez, Sub Ren, w1shone.com)
– Dennis (GroovMekanex, MuthaFunkers)
– Delrokz (Toyz for Tots, Zulu Nation)
Moderated by Alan Mar David
Sponsored by Liwanag Kultural Center, Kalayaan School for Equity, North County Peninsula Partnerships, and Rock the School Bells